The three Quarley Church Bells
|An unusual feature of Quarley
Church is the arrangement of the bells, which are hung outside the
building in a frame at ground level.
The oldest bell is 13th Century, and has the makers
mark, a small letter S, on the shoulder, and the inscription "Sancta
Maria ora pro nobis".
The second is by J.D., dated 1636, and has the words
"Love God" on it.
The third bell dates from 1686, but was cracked and
recast in 1905 as a gift from the Marquis of Winchester. The original
inscription was "Ave Gratia", and "Henry Paulet, XVI
Marquis of Winchester" was added.
The two oldest bells were stolen on 5 or 6 July.
The Police fear they could be sold for scrap, and
urge anybody who may have been offered these items to buy, to get in