Quarley Parish Council Minutes - March 2009

Minutes of the Quarley Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 17th March 2009 in the Quarley Village Hall at 7pm.

Present : Cllr Mrs J Ferguson - Chairman
Cllr Mr W Marshall - Vice Chairman
Cllr Mrs G Tubbs
Cllr Miss C Cross
Cllr Mr M Venables
County Councillor Mrs P West
Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk
Members of the Public - Mrs J Venables and Mr P West
Apologies: Borough Councillor Mr T Southern

WELCOME. Cllr Mrs Ferguson welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Cllr Mrs Ferguson declared an interest in the Quarley P.C.C.

Cllr Mrs Ferguson signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

FLOODING UNDER THE A303 - The Parish Council were again disappointed that no work has commenced on sorting out the problem of the drains under the A303 bridge. Tankers have been seen regularly pumping out the water after rainfall, it was felt that this is unacceptable and the problem needs sorting out.

Cllr Mrs P West reported that Hampshire County Council have given up negotiating with the Highways Agency to get this problem sorted, there has been a lot of correspondence over recent months and the issue has not moved forward. Cllr Mr P Lashbrook is working hard to get the various Agencies to address the problem. Kevin Fuller from H.C.C. Highways feels that expensive engineering work is needed to cope with the road surface water that gathers under the bridge, regular clearing of the drain to remove the silt is planned until new budgets will allow for the engineering work to commence.

The Parish Council stated that this has been a problem for several years and action needs to be taken now to stop the flooding under the bridge every time it rains, it was suggested that a pump may be the answer. Cllr Mrs West asked the Parish to be patient, this needs to be done properly. H.C.C. are looking at the various options and a permanent solution needs to be found, a pump may well be the answer.

The Chairman reported that when the snow was on the ground one of the gritting lorries went through the flood water under the bridge with still dispersing salt, with the salt already on the roads washing down into the flood water, concerns have been raised regarding salt corrosion to residents cars that have had to negotiate the flood water, will they be able to claim for any damage? Cllr Mrs West stated that she will look into this and suggested that if any resident feels that they have a claim they should write to H.C.C.

ROAD MATTERS - It was reported that repairs to the village roads are on-going, repairs to the road edge in numerous places still needs to be looked at, Skew Road is especially bad due to the HGV‘s travelling to Fox Farm. The Silt that has built up on the opposite side of the bend to Grateley still needs to be cleared. There are a few Pot Holes in the village that need attention. The Clerk will report these to the Pot Hole Busters at Hampshire County Council.

BOUNDARY CHANGE - The Chairman reported that Amport are in the process of consulting with the residents who the boundary change would effect to gauge their views on joining Quarley.

PAVEMENTS IN ETWALL - Cllr Mrs Tubbs reported that the repairs to the pavements in Etwall have not yet started. Cllr Mrs West reported that she hoped the pavements in Etwall would be repaired soon, she knows that there is an on-going programme of repairs in the area.


TVN.08/02840/FULLN - Change of use of agricultural land to travelling show people’s quarters to include provision of 3 hard standing plots for siting of residential units, septic tank. Storage and maintenance area and access road - Thruxton Down Camp Site, Topliss Hill, Thruxton.

Cllr Mr Venables reported that he had attended a meeting held by Thruxton Parish Council to discuss this Planning Application. Cllr Mr Venables addressed the meeting and reiterated Quarley Parish Councils objections to this site. A vote was held and it was agreed that Thruxton Parish Council Would be objecting to the Planning Application.

Cllr Mrs West reported that the Planning Case Officer is recommending permission. Cllr Mr P Lashbrook has asked for the Application to be considered by Committee, and has asked for a site visit.


Cllr Mrs West reported that Mrs M Winters, Head of Planning will be leaving Test Valley Borough Council in April, Paul Jackson will be returning to Test Valley Borough Council from Newbury to take over the position.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about the Hampshire County Council Budget a 1.9% rise in the Council Tax has been set and this will be fixed for two years. Additional money has been put into the budget for roads and it is planned to take on additional staff in Adult Services. H.C.C. have received four stars for their Audit Services from the Audit Commission.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about the 106 Agreements relating to the Andover Air Field site, these have been strengthened and the conditions enforced, no work will begin on the site until the infrastructure has been put in place, there are plans for additional acoustic sound barriers to shield the surrounding area form noise from the site.

Cllr Mrs Ferguson stated that the noise form the A303 has increased steadily over the years and felt that it was time that the Highways Agency carried out a noise survey, the additional traffic for the Andover Air Field site will only add to this. Cllr Mrs West noted this.


CLLR MR M VENABLES - Reported that the Mobile Police Unit still visit’s the village but on a reduced timetable, a list of dates and contact numbers will be given to the Chairman to put on the Notice Board.

Cllr Mr Venables reported that Mr H Kirby and Lains Shooting School have come second, with a highly commended, in the Best Traditional Business category in this year’s National Countryside Alliance Awards, sponsored by the Daily Telegraph and are due to pick up their award in the House of Lords. The Parish Council thought this excellent news, the Chairman asked Cllr Mr Venables if he would do a piece for the Web Site and asked the Clerk to write on behalf of the parish Council to Mr Kirby congratulating him on his award.


MRS J VENABLES - Suggested that the Parish Council ask to meet with the Hampshire County Council Engineers on site to discuss the flooding under the A303 bridge. The Parish Council thought this a good idea and asked Cllr Mrs West if this could be arranged.

Cllr Mrs West stated that a presentation on any proposed scheme to sort out the flooding problem will be made to the Parish Council prior to any commencement of work, H.C.C. are aware of the problems.


Mr B Pearce Ditch Clearing £50.00
Mr D Preston Web Site £55.11
R.N. Waterman Expenses £67.20
Quarley Village Hall Hire of Hall for meetings £62.50

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

23rd June 2009 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm.

Home    Feedback     Policies      Last updated 30 Apr 2009      Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Quarley Parish Council